Working with PyxelEdit on our new game: Halfway

SimonSimon Posts: 58
edited September 2013 in Artwork
Hey everyone, 
We finally announced our new game, so I can start sharing stuff I did in the last few month, manly using PyxelEdit and the awesome support of Danik! :)
For details about the game itself go to our website and read the details:

Here are some screenshots of the game. All the environment assets and objects where done using PyxelEdit. We have made some custom tools to get everything into our game easily so we have an awesome Pyxel to game toolchain now.
Anyway here the shots:

I will soon show abit more stuff, as soon I find the time. :)
Thanks again Danik for your absolutely amazing tool!

Cheers
Simon 

Comments

• DelkaesDelkaes Posts: 21
    edited September 2013

O_O

#jawdropped

Edit : Did i say it's amazing ?

• DanikDanik Posts: 897
    That's looks absolutely amazing! :D
    It's nice to finally see what you have been working on.

Thanks for sharing Simon, and good luck with the announcement!
  • Oh and it reminds some bitmap brothers games. I like the color scheme. Do you use some in house engine ?
  • SimonSimon Posts: 58
    edited September 2013
    Thanks everyone! :)

@Delkaes: bitmap brothers are a big inspiration on the artstyle btw. Love their work. (Chaos Engine was one inspiration for example)
    The engine we use is libgdx by badlogicgames. Here: http://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/ awesome engine, fast as hell and really flexible. :)
  • tacoetacoe Posts: 17
    Simon: that looks fantastic. Are you creating tiles at full brightness and then overlaying effects in code to darken areas? Are you using transparency in PE to achieve the blue light bar effects? And are you drawing the actors/sprites in PyxelEdit as well? 
    @tacoe: Thanks! :)

About how I do it: The tiles are drawn in fullbright in Pyxel with only minor shading done. Then I export it into our own custom level editor and there I add lights etc. All the lights are dynamic but the shadows are drawn by hand for each object.
    The light glows are some special brushes done with another tool and then set in our own editor and colored by the engine itself.

The characters are not done by me but by Johan Vinet and I think he uses Photoshop for it. (I have to ask him) But actually there is nothing that would keep us from doing the characters in Pyxel besides Johan used to work with PS and so it is up to him. Actually I do all the environment animations and the effects in Pyxel.

Hope that answers some questions for you :)
    Want to see the tiles in motion? We have updated the blog with some new informations and a gameplay video:

:)
    Awesome, nothing else to say! :D The music is really kickass too.
  • Awesome x9000 !
  • This is really nice, are you planning to put in on Steam Greenlight? :)
    Thx! :)

@MiraCZ: We would love to see it on Steam out of obvious reasons. ;) But we do not have decided yet when we are going to try. It cost alot of time and energy to do that and this energy is focused at the moment to finish the game. :)
  • ThndrThndr Posts: 15
    For some place like Greenlight I recommend having a finished game unless you got plenty hype behind yourself.

Doing so and tracking purchases (if it's not a free game) and honoring those purchases with steam keys when you do make it seems to be standard practice for regular indie games as Steam should not be the only marketplace you put the game on.

I would sign up to Greenlight if you have the $100 by the time you're submitting the game to any other major marketplace.
  • Fantastic sprites man, and just proof that Pyxel Edit rocks!

Also using it for my game making, but I use Game Maker Studio..
    Thx :) here is a small video of me doing a level with our own editor:

45min -> in 4.5 min timelaps:

I will release something similar soon with me working in Pyxel on this tileset here:

As I mentioned on the Robotality website, the editor looks awesome! Is the GUI using a library or made in-house?
    That desert screenshot looks awesome too, can't wait to see the process of making it!!
    The gui lib is part of the libGDX engine (open-source and java based) we use to create the game. It is rather efficient and powerful. Stefan could tell you more about it, but he loves it as far as I can tell.
    Ok, cool. Yeah I've only heard good things about libGDX.
    yes is awesome. :) we did a voxel tool with it too. It is really nice little engine for all major OS.

Sweet. :)
    Hey everyone,

I finally released a video where you can see me using PyxelEdit for doing Halfway Tilesets and objects.

Hope you like it.

@Danik: Feel free to use it for any promotional stuff you want, if you want. :) 
  • This is very great to see your work flow, thx for sharing Simon !
    Thx. The workflow has changed a little bit with the latest version of Pyxel. In this video Pyxel didn't had a working copy/paste and no marquee tool to speak about. ;)
    Put overall it is still the same.
    Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to record this video, it's great to see the program in use. :)
    You are welcome. I have tons of more hours of Pyxel work on tape. I will release some more later on. ;)
    Nice, looking forward to it!
  • mikalemikale Posts: 1
    So cool guys. Thanks for sharing!
    edited July 2014
    Finally: After a year of crazy development and PyxelEdit usage we have now a release date: 

22.7.14 (yup, this is next tuesday ;)

And here is our brand new Halfway website with all the details: www.halfwaygame.com 

Here the official announcement: http://playstarbound.com/halfway-by-robotality/

also here is the launch trailer for it:

Very nervous and excited to see this baby going out of the house into the wild. Hope you will like it if you decide to pick it up. :)

Cheers
    Simon

Edit: and a small gif because you know: everyone loves gifs ;)

Awesome!! Good luck with the launch, the game looks great!
    Good morning everyone :) We finally released the game and you can buy it on Steam and in the Humble Store:

This game would be not as good without Pyxel Edit. Thanks @Danik for this wonderfull tool. A live saver it is. :)
    Great news! :D
    I tried it for a while yesterday and it looks and plays great, nice work!!