Copy and paste

AdamHarteAdamHarte Posts: 6
edited September 2013 in Feature requests
I think my use case is maybe a little different, but would be great to solve this problem.

I have a made a big image with lots of tiles. I use this file for drawing concepts for an enemy or a sprite etc. I iterate a lot, making copies of tiles, then changing different things to see what works.

Problem is that once I have come up with a good character, I can see no way of creating a new document and copying one of the tiles to it to start working on the different poses/animations etc.

Comments

• WeslomPoWeslomPo Posts: 23
    edited September 2013
    Three ways:
    1) Stupid, and long: Copy file, delete all tiles what you dont needed.
    2) Smart, but hard: Unzip *. Pyxel, find tile what you want. Open Pyxel file -> import -> tileset. Change tileset size like your tile, check import to new (or current document if needed) and voila.
    3) Smart and easy, create tileset from tiles what you want, export it to image, and insert in Pyxel like tileset in previous variant.
  • DanikDanik Posts: 800
    Yeah, this is unneccesarily hard. I will need to find a better way of moving tiles between documents. 

Maybe it should be possible to drag and drop tiles from the tileset onto another document.

Like you mention in the title copy paste is another option. The selection tool is obviously not fully working yet but I think this is one of the things it can be used for. Just select the tile with the marquee tool, Ctrl/Cmd+C, move to the other document and paste. 

• SimonSimon Posts: 58
    or the tile brush works cross document. That could help too :)
  • Simon, that is bug. xD
    It does? :O
  • It does? :O
    I try it, and it doesn't work. But if it will work, it be cool. )
    I see, I thought there was a bug. :)
    Yeah, that might be a nice feature, although it could also cause some confusion.
  • Yop actually with the lasso/select tool when you copy and then paste, it past on the first tile (top left). We know you'll make it better Danik o7
  • Yeah I think the tile brush working across documents would be awesome. Would be just like how the current colour selected is also global and not per document (that would be super annoying).
  • ThndrThndr Posts: 15
    I think the solution would be specific tileset documents.

By default it'll use the tileset inside the pyxel document, but if a user wants, they can specify a secondary file that it loads and saves the tileset too.

I suggest that when the user does load the tileset, it keeps the tilemap so you can have multiple versions of the same tile you can compare when swapping tilesets.
    Thndr, that's actually a very interesting idea..!
  • SimonSimon Posts: 58
    I like that idea too :) that could make my huge file I have a bit smaller again XD currently working with 1284 tiles... It already takes 30sec to load ;)
    1284 tiles, holy crap! :D
  • Danik, I think, there are need to add all tiles into one huge tilemap into a pyxel file. In one game, I loading thousands of tiles in one single bitmap (2048x2048 of 32x32 piece), and it loads miliseconds.
    WeslomPo, do you mean storing the tiles in a single PNG bitmap in the .pyxel file, instead of separate files?
  • Danik, exactly.
    Yes, it's probably worth looking into.
  • ThndrThndr Posts: 15
    Yeah, stitching and unstitching is faster than file read protocols for a large amount of small files.