Export tiles with multiple layers?

I feel like I must be missing something simple, but I can't seem to find the correct solution.

I've got my basic tiles, with one layer for Grass and one layer for Dirt.

Using Export Tileset, I get this: http://i.imgur.com/xPm9CJ8.png
Using Export Image, I get this: http://i.imgur.com/TpOOHAS.png

I want an export where I don't get the "fiddle area" that shows up if I export as an image, but shows the dirt that export tileset is missing. I've tried duplicating both layers and flattening them into a single, visible layer, making it the only visible layer, but the tiles seem uneffected by that change.

Maybe I just need to be pointed towards some better documentation on the tiles and the layers.

Comments

• CandyFaceCandyFace Posts: 620
    edited December 2016
    Hi DrCyanide

You can't export tiles with multiple layers, you'll have to merge them.
    duplicating both layers and flattening them into a single, visible layer
    That sounds like the right way to do it, if that doesn't work it may be because you have to re-add your tiles to the "Tiles" window using the "Tile placer tool".
  • It looks like when I merge layers it removes the reference to the tile/tiles that use to be in that square (I'm guessing to avoid situations where two tiles were used on different layers both get updated). I think that's what confused me at the start.

I think I initially misunderstood your instructions, dragging my old tiles from the "Tiles" box, thinking that the Tile Placer tool could only place tiles. Noob mistakes I guess. Re-adding my tiles that way wrote over my merged layer, but I was able to get the desired effect by copying the tiles in my merged layer first, then re-adding tiles, then pasting the copied merge layer down onto the merged tiles.

Second pass, using the tool and Ctrl+Click, worked a lot better. Thanks for the help!
  • CandyFaceCandyFace Posts: 620
    edited December 2016
    Glad you got it working ;)
    You can always hover over a tool or icon to see what actions they can perform. If you for example hover over the first merge icon, you'll see that it says "Merge with next down (lose tile mapping)" while the other says "Apply to next down (keep lower layer's tile mappings)"