Automatic tileset creation and mapping

Hi!

I would like to implement this kind of workflow:
  1. free drawing a tile-based and multi-layer pyxel edit document (no tiles mapped yet)
  2. get automatically the tileset of the whole document (tiles identification and mapping)
  3. export tileset and tilemap in order to import them on unity
The second step is the problem. The only way I found to solve it is to export a layer as a PNG image, then import it on a new doc as a tiled image in order to obtain the tileset too. This works but of course I have to repeat it for every layer and then merge all them together.

Is there a faster way to accomplish this?

ty
dolfiz

Comments

• Im very much interested in seeing this worked out.

just a simple way to create a tile from something already drawn would simplify my life 100 times over
  • Im very much interested in seeing this worked out.

just a simple way to create a tile from something already drawn would simplify my life 100 times over
    Indeed, I thought it was a workflow used by many. It's not unusual to draw freely with no care for tile mapping, and just at the end perform tile mapping and tile set creation, with possible corrections, if there's the need.

The weird thing it's that the application already has the functionality to automatically map tiles and create the tile-set, but only during tiled image import. It would be sufficient to create a new menu option that do the same thing on the current opened image, maybe on a layer basis. Not so much development effort I guess.

Are we really the only two interested in such a feature?
    dolfiz

• HouseoftathHouseoftath Posts: 2
    No. I'm very interested in this feature. I'm art focused, but i want to build some games. With the advent of Corgi and topdown engine (another engine by the same people) I'm inches from it if I can just figure out how to easily move my tile maps from Pyxel Edit to Unity intact. 

So yeah, this thread is old, but this is the only reason I really signed up here. 

I need this feature. Bad.