Any trial version of Pyxel??

ZedZed Posts: 16
Hi. I need to ask.
There is any trial version (or demo without save xD) of new Pyxel?
I test old beta but I don't know how look making sprite in it (animation too).
I try decide what pick - Pyxel or Aseprite

Comments

• CandyFaceCandyFace Posts: 620
    edited August 2016
    Hi Zed

No unfortunately there isn't a trial version available, and comparing using the old beta is not reasonable as it's missing a lot of features, including animation. The only way to try out the newest version with all it's features, is to buy it.

As for comparing Aseprite vs PyxelEdit, here's my opinion:

I'm biased so take my opinion with a grain of salt. PyxelEdit fulfil all my needs, although they're not particularly demanding. ASEsprite is more feature rich, and is being updated more often as the developer is working full time. Danik is creating PyxelEdit in his spare-time, which means that updates and bug fixes aren't being released at a fixed phase. 

The reasons i'm using PE instead of ASE is primarily because of the interface. The interface is more modern, and if you're familiar with photoshop or similar software, very easy to get into. PE lacks a lot of things if you compare it with ASE, but depending on what you need or require, PE might be the right choice for you. PE is great for tile work and it's animation tool is intuitive and fresh IMO.

Short answer: ASEprite is very feature rich, and gets updated very often, but has a old and less familiar interface. PE is easy and fast to get into, is much less feature rich, has great tile and animation tools, a modern and familiar interface, but updates are seen less frequently. 

• ZedZed Posts: 16
    How look making spites in Pyxel? Single, animated chars ex. Not tiles.
    I need both functions ;]
    You can choose to make a single canvas with no tiles, but if you intend to animate, tiles are required. Tiles have multiple functions in PyxelEdit, you can either a use them like tiles for a tileset or you can use them as animation sheets. Take a look at this gif for example:
    Here i'm creating a new canvas, containing eight tiles horizontally, and use the tiles as keyframes.

Nice. But did I can find in Pyxel onion skinning?
    Dor me better look Pyxel but im use normaly GMS tool for that. Now Im looking for something better and standalone (usable on normal PC and old Tablet PC).
    edited August 2016
    Yes onion skinning is possible too, you can enable it for both previous and next frame. 
    Thanks a lot for informations.
    Need to know one more thing. any chance for linux version too? :)
    edited August 2016
    Officially Adobe Air doesn't seem to support linux anymore, which is why I believe Danik doesn't provide any build for linux, however @Danik wouldn't it theoretically be possible to distribute a linux version too, given that you would be able to get a relatively new version of Adobe air running?

To answer your question, There is no linux version available currently.
    It's ok. Just want to know that (I use PC's with windows and linux)
    One more time thx for all informations. I buy it now ;]
    Need to ask one more thing ;]
    What version as first have selection tool and animation?
    I look for low res (for old Tablet PC) version too.
    New version Use on it 85-100% of CPU xD (on main PC work epic).
    edited August 2016
    I can't say which version introduced the selection tool or animation first, but I don't think you will be able to feel much of a difference in performance anyway, no matter which version you choose.

You can try the different versions to see if they perform differently. Be prepared to expect more bugs however, especially with the selection tool.
    Old beta work very fast but don't have animation. I just test all.
  • jemmajemma Posts: 1
    I don't think that you can find a trial now. If you would like, you can ask this guys http://qatestlab.com/services/we-are-professionals-in/user-interface-testing/  for help. They're great professionals and I'm sure they'll help you somehow.