Non-linear Animations?

So a lot of my animations share frames, might repeat frames, or might ping-pong back and forth. In Pyxel Edit it looks like animations can only be set up as a linear forward moving set of adjacent tiles, is there any other way of setting up animations frame by frame?

Great work by the way - loving the features in this! "Clean one pixel line" is a god send!

Comments

• 0101011101010111 Posts: 10
    Sorry to double post, but I'd be curious to hear from other animators - do you do all the work within Pyxel Edit and then clean up your final spritesheet afterwards?
  • CandyFaceCandyFace Posts: 620
    I personally only use PyxelEdit, I have had no need as of yet for doing any clean up afterwards. Having more options as such as going back and forth sounds interesting and could definitely speed up the workflow. 

As with the frame by frame you mention, every tile is utilised as a frame. assuming that you are talking about the normal way of doing animation with keyframes and frames? if so, then you need to think of tiles as being frames, there is no way to tell if they're a keyframe yet, though such feature could be interesting to see implemented. 
    Adding a new tile to the animation by changing the length, should be understood as adding a new frame to the timeline, as you would in the industry standard software.

I hope this answers your question :)

To rephrase - here is a spritesheet of Mario's walk cycle
    These frames will be called 0, 1, and 2.
    The actual walking animation would be 0, 1, 2, 1.
    In Pyxel Edit, I would have to duplicate frame 1 to make the sprite sheet into a timeline, correct?
    If that's the case, then your spritesheet would have duplicate frames that just take up space. I guess it is 2015 and worrying about that kind of thing is pointless, but if you wanted to add some detail down the road, you'd have to keep track of all the duplicate frames or do a lot of redundant work.
  • CandyFaceCandyFace Posts: 620
    edited June 2015
    Indeed you are correct, and I agree that the process is tedious and takes up unnecessary space on the canvas, which could have been avoided. PyxelEdit is still in beta fortunately, and I have seen Danik talk about animation related stuff before, so I believe that he might be interested in looking into such features. He'll likely comment on the subject when he has time.
    Ah ok. Yeah, at the moment this is my biggest gripe, but a pen and paper to write down which cells are dups could easily solve it for me. I do like the animation frame selection thing, but in the long run I'd prefer a more in-depth frame selection method.

Thanks for the info :)
  • Ah ok. Yeah, at the moment this is my biggest gripe, but a pen and paper to write down which cells are dups could easily solve it for me. I do like the animation frame selection thing, but in the long run I'd prefer a more in-depth frame selection method.
    You can assign frames to tiles. That way when you edit the same frame it will update automatically everywhere on screen in a way tiles work in PyxelEdit.
  • DanikDanik Posts: 870
    Yeah, at the moment animations have to use consecutive frames in the canvas. I've been considering having a separate timeline at the bottom of the screen where you could drag and drop, duplicate and move frames. The frames would refer freely to a tile in the document.