Is Pyxel Edit Dead?

The last announcement was a year ago, and there wasn't even an announcement made about the latest version (0.4.8). Has development on this product halted?

Comments

• TheMnkTheMnk Posts: 35
    It is going at such a slow pace that it may seem dead, it's true.
    I suppose if the program were dead, the developer would inform it in the forum.
    It's a shame because it's a great program that deserves at least 3 or 4 updates a year.
    I guess the developer does not have the necessary time.
  • It's a shame. It had a lot going for it, and so much potential. But now that Aseprite has a Tileset Editor being added soon, I don't think Pixel Edit is going to stay in my toolkit.
  • MosesMoses Posts: 1
    I re-downloaded it recently after not having had it in like 2 years. I didn't see any new features and I just wanted to get quickly started with pixel art again. I looked up aseprite and liked what I saw, purchased it, and I can honestly say that I like it much more than pyxel edit.
  • DanikDanik Posts: 776
    It's true that development has been standing still for a long time now, and I'm sorry about that. My day job is taking most of my energy, and there are issues with the platform (Adobe Air) that I don't know how to work around which is demotivating.

I have not given up development though. I know a lot of people like the program and find it useful, and I will do my best to deliver on the features that are planned and fix the biggest issues. I have some thoughts and ideas on how to continue after that, maybe on another platform, and maybe getting more people involved in the development.

I will be on vacation from my job later this summer, and I have planned to spend some focused time on Pyxel Edit then.
  • nekofluxnekoflux Posts: 2
    @Danik have you considered moving off of adobe air to html5? electron makes it really easy to ship native apps in a chrome container:  https://electronjs.org/

If you have any interest in this, happy to help. I have 20 years of experience building stuff for the web, and would be glad to breathe some life into pyxeledit (it's a great program!)
  • andreyinandreyin Posts: 1
    I'm glad to see the project isn't entirely dead. I've been using GraphicsGale for the past 10 years and I've been looking for a tool to switch to. I tried Aseprite but it just didn't do it for me. I love Pyxel Edit's tilemap options, more specifically how I can import a png and have it sliced to create a tileset. The only thing missing for me is the ability to select multiple tiles, like Tiled does (you can right-click and drag to create a brush of the selected tiles, it's great).
  • HouseoftathHouseoftath Posts: 2
    This is my go-to tool for tile maps. I use aseprite for animation stuff. I really love this tool for doing tilemaps. I hope you keep at it. 
  • HaplotyperHaplotyper Posts: 1
    @Danik This may be a good candidate for some crowd funding?  Or, making it an open source project?  This is such an excellent program and I believe there would be a lot of support to help in other ways.
  • nekofluxnekoflux Posts: 2
    I would definitely contribute to crowd funding, despite the fact that I've already bought a couple pyxel edit licenses. I'm also really into open source development and would _love_ an opportunity to hack away on pyxel for the improvement of everyone. https://github.com/mreinstein
  • I would like to echo the idea of making it open source. Aesperite manage to make it work, and make money. I mean, I used to develop using Adobe tools back in the day, so it would be a project I could actually contribute to...
  • RaseruRaseru Posts: 2
    Yeah if it was open source we might see some cool changes. Drives me crazy sometimes that we don't have a Replace Color feature to test colors on the fly.