Display Tile Numbers in Hex

KasumiKasumi Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Feature requests
I'd like the ability to display the tile numbers as hex digits instead of decimal. Reason being I work with small 8x8 tiles, and have to zoom super far to see tile numbers above ~100.

Here's an example: http://i.imgur.com/7uWsOTr.png

The blue is unmarked, the solid green tiles are 132, 133, 134, 136, 137, 138 respectively. To see their tile numbers, I have to zoom to 8x. Hex allows for 2 digits for up to 256 tiles, so it could use the same number of digits for much longer. 

Comments

• DanikDanik Posts: 850
    Ah, yeah I can see that being a problem. I'm not sure using hex would be the best solution though, it could be confusing and while it would give more tiles per digit the problem would still exist for tiles with index >= 256.
    Maybe making the font size configurable would be a better solution?
  • KasumiKasumi Posts: 13
    Me, I make homebrew NES games, I can't use more than 256 tiles in a set regardless. Hex is useful in other ways since every other tool I use speaks hex. This isn't exactly the only reason I request it.

It's true there will always be a limit, whether it occurs after 99 or FF, 999 or FFF. Hex will always allow one to keep a larger (easier to read) font size for longer before it needs to be made smaller again when you make enough tiles for a new digit. 

Conclusion: Options for both font size and hex display would be neat.
    I see. It's not very hard to add so I guess I could make it an option.
  • KasumiKasumi Posts: 13
    edited June 2014
    I finally got back to really using PyxelEdit and I thank you for adding this! But the tile you're currently drawing with is displayed using decimal numbers even in hex mode, which is a little confusing.

Same tile drawn into the map and on the cursor: http://i.imgur.com/rwPPrqN.png
    Ahh, thanks I overlooked that.