How do I get onion skin to work?

tieTYTtieTYT Posts: 16
edited January 2014 in Questions
I was trying to create some sprites in Tiled and I couldn't figure out how to get Onion Skin to work.  I found the buttons to onion skin the previous / next tile, but it didn't seem to have any effect.  Can someone teach me how to use this tool?

Comments

• DanikDanik Posts: 870
    First make sure you have created an animation, then they should give a transparent preview of the next/prev tiles in the frame edit view when toggled.
  • tieTYTtieTYT Posts: 16
    OK I thought that's what I was doing so maybe it was a bug.  Or maybe it has to do with different layers.  I'll try again soon.  
    Ok, let me know if you find out it's a bug.
    This is not working for me.  What am I doing wrong?  Here's a screenshot: http://imgur.com/ICgKQFi
    edited February 2014
    Oh I get it.  It's only in the frame edit view.  I was expecting it to be in the next tile in the edit tiles window.  Wouldn't that be more useful?  I don't usually use the Frame Edit to modify things. 
    Ah, now I see what you mean. Unfortunately that would be hard to do for technical reasons technically right now, and the frame view is meant for editing animation frames. Is there a reason you use the canvas? I'd prefer to improve the frame view instead of moving animation specific things to the canvas.
  • I'm still not able to see the onion skin. I've got four frames, animation created, play in the playback window will have it moving... but I click the onionskin buttons but don't see anything different in the frame edit or any other window.
  • KamiroseKamirose Posts: 6
    edited January 2015
    Well now I'm seeing the semitransparent stuff for onionskin, but it's next to the current frame instead of on top of it.... sometimes. When I switch frames, it disappears.

Screenshot: http://puu.sh/eRH0p/318ee98afe.png
  • RevelRevel Posts: 3
    Hi Danik, the onion skin behave abit funny for me as well. Not that it had any problem or something, but whenever I got a background layer (that fill the entire tiles on the most bottom layer stack), the onion skin preview just didn't show anything for some reason...I don't think it's supposed to be like that right?
  • CandyFaceCandyFace Posts: 620
    edited January 2015
    Atm. it is supposed to be like that. The onion skin will not show if you fill the background layer and Danik is aware of it.  

There have been a discussion.
    Yeah. Not sure how to fix it though. The onion skin could show only the current layer, but sometimes you might have multiple layers you are animating. Maybe an option that switches between showing onion skinning for all layers or just the current...
    and a plausible solution:
    Perhaps making it possible to change the canvas background without adding a colored layer would fix it.

• Ah, thanks for the info. I hope this gets fixed soon, along with the bug that uncenters the canvas when you switch frames. Once those are fixed I'd consider this the perfect pixel art program for me.