Outline Tool

PajaroidePajaroide Posts: 28
edited January 2014 in Feature requests
It might be too much to ask for, but I would love an option to create a pixel outline in the selected tile(s) that delineates the drawing, something like this: 
There's an option like that in the GameMaker editor, pretty useful and saves a lot of hassle. I can do something similar in realtime using drop shadows on photoshop =) anyway! Pyxel Edit rules!

Comments

• DanikDanik Posts: 777
    Interesting idea, thanks. To me it doesn't seem like something you would do often enough to give it it's own tool though. But if a lot of people would find this useful let me know.
  • ShoSho Posts: 12
    This actually looks like something I would use. It would be useful for certain things, like if I wanted to see if I wanted an outline or not, I could switch between it pretty quickly without having to draw around it a bunch.
  • Yeah Sho, I use it exactly as you described. It's a fundamental part of my pixel workflow. =)
  • I second that too, actually that's a very useful function. like the Stroke layerFX on photoshop.
  • I too would use and appreciate this feature. Seems like it'd be a relatively trivial algorithm to implement, but a huge time saver.
  • KhadaKhada Posts: 1
    Really wish this was a feature.
  • vakninirvakninir Posts: 1
    I would love this so much - I waste so much time outlining elements in my art.
    There should also be an option to select the thickness of the out line - how many pixels and also are those pixels connected on the edges or not.
    (eg if the out line is:
    XXOO OOX
      XXXOOXX
           XXXX
    or:
    XOOOOOX
       XXOOOX
             XX
  • CandyFaceCandyFace Posts: 620
    While it would be neat with some image processing operation to do it, it can be done relatively easy, using this technique:

What i'm doing:
    * Use magic wand to select select transparency
    * selection->inverse selection
    * make duplicate of character layer
    * use fill or brush tool with large brush to fill selection with black
    * copy bottom layer (the black outline) to your clipboard
    * paste your selection onto canvas and use offset tool or transformation tool to position.
  • DiVeRDiVeR Posts: 5
    is this going to be worked on? Other indie pixelart editors have it and I would love to be able to do that in Pyxel Edit.
  • aelbersaelbers Posts: 5
    This would be an awesome feature. I also outline my stuff often.  :) +1
  • blatragenblatragen Posts: 1
    edited July 2017
    I think that it is better with black line than without it! From what game this character?