Fixing issues with newer versions of Adobe AIR

DanikDanik Posts: 659
edited April 2016 in News and announcements
Update: Version 0.4.0 and later are only available as standalone (captive runtime) builds that are bundled with the AIR runtime, so they won't be affected by AIR updates.

There are a number of issues with Pyxel Edit with Adobe AIR version 19 and 20. These versions make Pyxel Edit slow down over time eventually becoming unusable, and some people have reported that PE doesn't start. While I try to solve the problem you can use one of the fixes below.

If you are on Windows, the easiest fix is to use the portable version instead of the common runtime AIR version.

If you are on OS X, or you can not use the portable version for some other reason, you need to roll back to AIR 18.
First uninstall the current version of AIR from your system:

OS X: Open a terminal window and run the following command
sudo /Applications/Utilities/Adobe\ AIR\ Uninstaller.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ AIR\ Installer -uninstall
Windows: Uninstall Adobe AIR using Add or remove programs in the Control panel.

Then download and install "Adobe AIR 18 runtime" (not the SDK) from this page:

Comment below if there still are problems.

Comments

• On Mac : Couldn't start Pyxel edit at all after the last Air update, I followed your instructions and it works again !  (Actually I didn't use the terminal, just used the Adobe Air uninstaller.) 

Just had bad flashbacks of shitty Flash updates breaking my work... Thanks for the help, and hope you'll find what's causing the problem !
  • How can I check which version of Adobe AIR I have? I'm on Windows, and in control panel -> programs and features it says I have version 3.9.0.1030, which looks like a different versioning system than you're using.
  • @willpowered ;
    that link should help you determine which version you are currently using.
  • On Mac 10.11.2 after installing the Adobe Air Runtime 18 I get this message when attempting to launch Pyxeleditimage
  • CandyFaceCandyFace Posts: 565
    @8bitgentleman do you still have this issue, have you tried an even earlier version or maybe the newest. I usually update my Adobe air fairly often and have never experienced the slow down. It seems weird though that PE doesn't want to run with version 18, as i have used much older versions myself without any problems.
  • Hello, I resolved my problems with Pyxel edit in december, by installing the old AIR 18, but I have some other Air applications now asking me to have the latest update installed to work properly... 

Can you tell me if the issue is resolved, or is it something that's worked on for the next release ? I'd like to know if it's safe to update AIR to the latest one these days.

Thanks !
  • @8bitgentleman do you still have this issue, have you tried an even earlier version or maybe the newest. I usually update my Adobe air fairly often and have never experienced the slow down. It seems weird though that PE doesn't want to run with version 18, as i have used much older versions myself without any problems.
    I have the same problem as him and going back to even older versions and to the newest ones and it gave the same message, I love this software, but so sad to not be able to use it anymore.
    edited March 2016
    @coldMaster

Are you part of the pre-beta program? if not you could try to join, as i know that Danik has made Air come prepackaged with the latest pre-beta release. Maybe that'll fix the problem for you.
  • coldMaster Posts: 3
    edited March 2016
    @coldMaster

Are you part of the pre-beta program? if not you could try to join, as i know that Danik has made Air come prepackaged with the latest pre-beta release. Maybe that'll fix the problem for you.
    I'm not part of it, I'm actually new to the forums even tho I have been using this software for sometime, but will see how to join, would be cool to help the developer and get this fixed at the same time :)

edit: sent him a email :)
  • Qurly Posts: 1
    I bought Pyxel Edit yesterday and had the newest version of adobe air, it opened. I woke up this morning hoping to keep working on this project I started and its not opening, saying that I don't have adobe air. I uninstalled and installed different older versions of adobe air however it still won't open. Any suggestions?
    edited May 2016
    @Qurly which OS are you on, and what version of Pyxel Edit did you download? the newest version should come with Air included.
  • I bought Pyxel Edit yesterday and had the newest version of adobe air, it opened. I woke up this morning hoping to keep working on this project I started and its not opening, saying that I don't have adobe air. I uninstalled and installed different older versions of adobe air however it still won't open. Any suggestions?
    I have something similar happening, except I've never downloaded Adobe Air before. I tried installing what is packaged with the purchase, but it won't open (saying I need Adobe Air to open it, lol). When I installed Air from the Adobe's website, it says its installed and everything, but I can't find it in the program files or searches. Then I can reinstall it without uninstalling. And nothing works. Still. I've been at this for an hour and I've looked everywhere.

I'm on Windows 10.
  • DanikDanik Posts: 659
    With the latest version you shouldn't need to install anything, simply unzip the application folder and run it. If it doesn't find AIR that must mean it can't access it in the subfolder. 
    Make sure you have unpacked the downloaded .zip file and aren't opening it as a compressed folder. (if it worked before this probably isn't the cause though) 
  • BlessedSwan11 Posts: 2
    edited July 2016
    With the latest version you shouldn't need to install anything, simply unzip the application folder and run it. If it doesn't find AIR that must mean it can't access it in the subfolder. 
    Make sure you have unpacked the downloaded .zip file and aren't opening it as a compressed folder. (if it worked before this probably isn't the cause though) 
    I run the application without extracting and I receive the same message each time. And it does have Adobe Air. 
    And it hasn't worked before, sorry, I forgot to mention that. 
    I'll have to look up how to unzip a file...Oh, extract. 
    Yeah, I still have the same issues when I extract. I have the torrent and it does the same thing. I'm at such a loss.
  • I am having the same problems except for the fact that I can run PE if I go into the unzipped file and double click on it but once I drag the application onto my desktop it says that I need to update the run time for Adobe AIR. I have installed and uninstalled Adobe air at least 15 times and am still having the same problem. I have tried different versions of Adobe Air and different methods of downloading it as well but it still gives the same error message, "Please download the latest version of the run time" I have no idea what i'm doing wrong.