Status of release 0.3.109

Comments

• Abandonware.
    Bold and unnecessary comment man..not cool. And so wrong to.

Take your Time. I'd rather wait a tad longer for a stable update than a "hush hush" buggy release.
    And(!) Pyxeledit is a great and working piece of software as it is right now.
    If you can't make it before 2016, we'll all understand (except hepary maybe ;-) ) and still appreciate your work so far!
  • Yeah, please @Danik don't let a bit of the community turn you away from Pyxel Edit. This software is fantastic, and I hope to see further work on it, whenever that might be :)
  • Yup, just to echo other comments, the program is awesome, and we're all behind you!
  • willpoweredwillpowered Posts: 16
    edited September 2015
    I'll consider bringing other developers on the project or some kind of open source model.
    If this became open source, I would definitely contribute! No matter what happens, I'm still really looking forward to the next release.
    If you're at a roadblock, I'd just release a new version with some of the more lightweight changes to tide people over. I could really use that maximum brush size setting. It sucks to have to make big circles in Photoshop and then copy/paste them over to Pyxel Edit.

Then again, I think the majority of us are pretty understanding. A lot of time, energy, and thought goes into software development. Keep up the good work! I've been recommending Pyxel Edit to everyone who asks about my art.
  • heparyhepary Posts: 9
    edited September 2015
    I want to apologize to @Danik and everyone offended by that unnecessary comment. I uninstalled the program on that day for the third time out of frustration. (No excuse, I know)

Actually, I have long given up on finding a streamlined work process with Pyxel Edit, despite it having some smart features. Instead I have just been using Photoshop.

I think that this project should go open source. I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to improve on it.
  • DanikDanik Posts: 777
    @hepary, apology accepted. If I remember correctly you had problems with animating using multiple layers, and I can understand your frustration with the workflow in that case. It's ok when you use one layer, but with multiple layers it can be very painful atm.

@Saint_, @Gaander, @strivinglife, @kheftel, @willpowered: thanks for the support, it means a lot!
  • @hepary, apology accepted. If I remember correctly you had problems with animating using multiple layers, and I can understand your frustration with the workflow in that case. It's ok when you use one layer, but with multiple layers it can be very painful atm.

@Saint_, @Gaander, @strivinglife, @kheftel, @willpowered: thanks for the support, it means a lot!
    I'm suprised that you remember what problem I had... and all the more ashamed.
  • CompasivoCompasivo Posts: 1
    edited October 2015
    I have just bought this software and I have to say that I LOVE IT.
    @Danik, thanks for your excellent work.

Waiting for new releases. :-)
  • If it went open source I'd love to see how I could help.
  • @DietChugg have a point, it could help. But still, it's up to you! 

In any way, all my classes are using it and they all REALLY love it! Believe me, I've tested every possible softwares. For gamejams, personal projects, my students projects, etc... But PE is the only one who is simple enough but still very versatile, fast and efficient.

Can't wait for the next update!
    @DietChugg have a point, it could help. But still, it's up to you! 

In any way, all my classes are using it and they all REALLY love it! Believe me, I've tested every possible softwares. For gamejams, personal projects, my students projects, etc... But PE is the only one who is simple enough but still very versatile, fast and efficient.

Can't wait for the next update!

Then you haven't used Asesprite.
  • CandyFaceCandyFace Posts: 620
    edited October 2015
    Asesprite is cool and can do a lot of things, but its interface is rather cumbersome and doesn't feel as easy to use as PE in my opinion. It has a certain learning curve, which i personally didn't encounter with PE. 

Based on what is available on the market, i would agree that PE one of the easiest to work with, and that is based on my experience with ASE, GraphicsGale, Grafx2 and Photoshop. 

Asesprite is cool and can do a lot of things, but its interface is rather cumbersome and doesn't feel as easy to use as PE in my opinion. It has a certain learning curve, which i personally didn't encounter with PE. 

Based on what is available on the market, i would agree that PE one of the easiest to work with, and that is based on my experience with ASE, GraphicsGale, Grafx2 and Photoshop. 

I didn't wanna start a discussion about other programs, but...
    First of all, Asesprite is pretty much complete, PyxelEdit is not.
    Asesprite offers hotkey configuration, color palette control, customizable palette presets, efficient and intuitive timeline control with onion skinning and all. Plus, you can move multiple layers at the same time which lacks in PE, layer blending options (multiply, overlay...) and much more. Plus, its tools are designed in a manner similar to Photoshop, which is also a huge plus point.

To each his own, but as someone who has tested all the softwares you have mentioned - and also programs from other countries - I gotta say that I like Asesprite more. This may be a stupid thing to say since this is a PE forum, but imho, Asesprite wins by a long distance.

• CandyFaceCandyFace Posts: 620
    edited October 2015

I didn't wanna start a discussion about other programs, but...
    First of all, Asesprite is pretty much complete, PyxelEdit is not.
    Asesprite offers hotkey configuration, color palette control, customizable palette presets, efficient and intuitive timeline control with onion skinning and all. Plus, you can move multiple layers at the same time which lacks in PE, layer blending options (multiply, overlay...) and much more. Plus, its tools are designed in a manner similar to Photoshop, which is also a huge plus point.

To each his own, but as someone who has tested all the softwares you have mentioned - and also programs from other countries - I gotta say that I like Asesprite more. This may be a stupid thing to say since this is a PE forum, but imho, Asesprite wins by a long distance.

Neither did i, but i felt like i had to write something when you wrote that :3
    And yes exactly as you said, which i also mentioned myself, ASE can do a lot of things and is on full time development as of recently. I never bought into the 1.0 release, though i used the program up till its commercial release, so Its possible that there might have been done some improvement on the interface which i am not aware of, but when i used ASE i initially had to use quite of a bit time to learn to navigate the interface, learn new shortcuts(or edit...). Normally such things wouldn't be a problem, though in my case, at that time i didn't want to fiddle with a new and different interface, i just wanted to draw and animate to get on with my work, which PE allowed me to.
    Another rather important note for my partial decision of "investing" into PE rather than ASE would be that i found it really annoying to work with on OSX, which is my workstation...

It's okay for you to say that you prefer ASE to PE. As you said, to each his own and if that is what you prefer, that's cool. I have so far been able to get around almost all my problems with PE, but i'm occasionally using other tools too, to get some jobs done which PE can't do for me.

btw. I never said that PE was better or that ASE couldn't do things, I just gave my opinion on PE being the easiest to get started with, based on your comment to ProfBot.
  • Will there be a feature to lock the palette menu? I am getting mad at the colors switching the whole time, just make a lock in the setting that saves me alot of times clicking undo, thanks

-Roseslayer
  • YinYin Posts: 1
    Any news on a .tmx exporter? 
  • blurymindblurymind Posts: 5
    edited December 2015
    You could improve the tilemap exporter to allow for custom properties to be stored in tilemaps. Also the txt exporter could store more metadata. On open sourcing it- PE is built upon proprietary adobe library Air. Not sure if many os devs would like to pick ot up. On other professional alternatibes-Has anyome tried Cosmigo Pro Motion?
  • Happy new year! Any news on this? :)
  • Open sourcing the software but still charging for it (kinda like Aseprite does it) could really help here... It's been far too long :(
  • Still No news on this?, Sad.. :(
  • Any news? It's been a VERY long time.
    edited February 2016
    I'm very sorry about the lack of information and updates. 

Pyxel Edit still is not abandoned, but the project I'm working on has got delayed. Also I have been in a bit of a slump, I blame the winter darkness. 
    There has been some work on it during the holidays though, and I will release a new private beta to the testers very soon.

Here is a list of changes since the last one:

--
    • Fixed selection shape not being respected when copying.
    • Improved selection tool behavior. It now includes the clicked pixel in the selection, which has a minimum with and height of 1 pixel.
    • Fixed dragdrop of BMP images into app.
    • Made workspace recent paths update when opening a Recent file from the menu.
    • Big refactoring of the export panels. Fixed tilemap not exporting only the selected layers.
    • Fixed "Export tilemap" menu item disabled state when no open doc.
    • Small bug fixes in export panels. Made transparency matte bg color save with document.
    • Made transparency matte color selector show in animated GIF export panel.
    • Fixed using Replace color with transparent colors.
    • Made transp. matte color get remembered both as app-wide last used setting and per document.
    • Made palette export/import path get remembered.
    • Added eraser as a secondary operation for the pen tool.
    • Made the color replacer tool show colored brush preview instead of outline.
    • Fixed selection menu items not being deactivated when no open document.
    • Fixed application window title not updating on saving a document with a new name.
    • Fixed blend modes not working on copy merged.
    • Fixed round brush for color replacer tool.
    • Added a "flip selected"-feature and made it accessible in selection menu (ctrl+F, ctrl+shift+F).
    • Fixed scrollbar not showing for layer checkboxes in tilemap export panel.
    • Fixed MMB-panning getting stuck if done after space-panning. 
    • Working eraser with selection mask.
    • Fixed undo for animation range tool animation range change action.
    • Fixed tool delegation.
    • Made brush size increase/decrease using scroll work for all tools responding to the action.
    • Fixed brush stroke getting in an inconsistent state when changing brush size mid stroke. 
    • Made "other layers transparent on pan" disabled by default.
    • Added action and menu item for showing settings window.
    • Fixed bug that made files for layers with identical names get overwritten when exporting image layers as separate files.
    • Fixed selections getting the wrong color for selected parts after inverting, which broke the fill tool
  • @Danik Awesome work! i suspected that your project got delayed and therefore the PE update would too, nice to see the flip selected feature being added. Can't wait for the new update.
  • Awesome @Danik, hope you're doing well and very thanks for thoses informations !

and...

FLIP SELECTION !!!! \o/

ps: sorry for my lack of beta tester :/
  • Saint_Saint_ Posts: 16
    Great @Danik ! I can't wait to try some of the features! On a side note, if I've misplaced my download link for the beta release how would I go about getting my link again?
  • Please don't give up on this software, @Danik. It's amazingly useful and once you finish it I think it'll be your meal ticket for a good long time. Get this bad boy on Steam!
  • HaploHaplo Posts: 15
    Great news!! I´ll try it right now!
    Thanks for the support!

The new prerelease is now available on the license page for all the testers. As soon as any major issues are fixed it will be released for everyone.
  • It's almost been a year since the last update. 

I'm all for encouraging words, but even if you did 1 thing every two weeks we would have something by now. It sounds like you're nearing(cough) the release of the next update though, so I can't wait to get my hands on it! 

I absolutely adore the program. Keep up the good work! I really don't think I would be as happy as fledgling pixel artist if this program didn't exist, so please keep trucking!

I hope I don't come off as rude, as much as frank. I really want to see this program shine, and I suggest it to all my friends!
  • KormosKormos Posts: 4
    edited March 2016
    Glad to see some info, I really enjoy using this software!