Status update for release 0.3.105

DanikDanik Posts: 660
edited January 2014 in News and announcements
Hi there,
I have been working on the next version the last month, and there's some exciting progress. It's going to be a pretty big update and I still have a lot of work to do, but I thought I'd give you an update on some of the features and improvements you can expect.

The biggest thing is that I have changed the way drawing is implemented, to be able to support opacity, flow, transparent brushes etc. This was very tricky to get working with good performance and with live tile updating, but I think I have a solution that is general and works really well now. (in my tests it's even faster than the old system)

Improved onion skinning.

The 1px clean line function has returned.

Rearrangeable palette (still needs some work)

New canvas resize dialog

Some other changes:
  • Improved selection rendering
  • Per-frame animation delays
  • Magic wand selection tool
  • New flood fill implementation that works nicely with tiles
  • Support for importing animated GIFs
  • Support for importing BMPs
  • Blend modes for layers
  • Selection is kept after transforming
  • Lots of UI tweaks
  • Many other fixes and tweaks

The update should be available within a few weeks if all goes according to plan.

Comments

• SimonSimon Posts: 58
    woah! that is a huge update. :D

Can't wait to get my hands on that one :)
    Thanks for putting so much effort into Pyxel!  
  • DanikDanik Posts: 660
    Your welcome Simon, thanks for the encouraging words. :)
  • PajaroidePajaroide Posts: 27
    edited January 2014
    Awesome! And the clean line function is going to be veery handy!
  • Fantastic!  :P
  • noionoio Posts: 17
    Nice! Thank you for pushing updates. It's a great tool and it's getting even better! I'm especially happy with the update since I'm using Pyxel a lot for the sequel to Kingdom.

<3
    Great game noio! Love the art and music, very atmospheric.
  • I have to say, I'm astounded by the scale of this update. :)

I recently bought the software, and I'm planning to moving all my artwork production to it just as soon as opacity support is implemented. Everything else about the software is so perfect!

I'd like to second what I've seen elsewhere on this forum- I do the majority my shading with opacity controls, so it feels like a bit of a blind spot, but obviously from your post you've implemented it (and it looks awesome).

Thanks so much for developing this!
  • ShoSho Posts: 12
    Wow! This sounds like a lot of amazing features! I can't wait for these to come out! Oh boy, this will be great! I'm working with Pyxel for my senior project and I love the tool! Keep up the great work!
    Thank you for all of the amazing work that you've put into this!
  • Wow, few features I asked for got covered here. I feel bad about that now, haha.

Awesome work

• where can i get this update ?  or any update for that matter ? 

This update is still in development but should be available in about a week. You can get it from the download page you got when you bought it.
  • Great work, any news on being able to keep the UI scheme as arranged as opposed of having to arrange it everytime it starts?

Thanks a lot!
    Thanks, can't promise anything for the coming release but I'll see what I can do.
  • Just wondering if this release has an official date yet. I'm really looking forward to it.
    Hopefully tomorrow. :)
  • Thank you very much.
  • RapuRapu Posts: 10
    Just downloaded the new version. I found a small bug:

Preset palettes "Arne 16" and "Arne 64" have same colors in them.
    Thanks, fixed!
    Wow, that was fast. Thanks. Everything works great so far. Thanks a lot. Love the new features! Especially the Clean 1 pixel line option.
  • I am also just downloaded the new version. It's awesome! Thanks. :)

For now what is really missing is that it is impossible to rename layers. When I create quite a lot of layers it is hard to remember where exactly each detail is placed.

Also here is one small bug I have found. I'm working on Windows. When I'm trying to import new image I select for example "blablabla.PNG" (this file is visible from import dialog), but in Pyxel Edit I got error message that file type is not supported. If I rename "blablabla.PNG" to "blablabla.png" everything works fine.
  • Ubu Posts: 10
    Great! Just one thing, it should perhaps be possible to pick shading, lightness, saturation and hue colors by left-clicking on the variations without the whole gradient changing. The gradient change could be done by right clicking instead.
  • ShoSho Posts: 12
    -loud squealing- I just downloaded it! I'm using it for my senior project right now!
  • @Asmodannt : use the Cog-wheel, you can rename the layers.

@Danik : Still awesome work man !

In Layer Edit option, Blend mode's drop-down list slider doesn't work when you try to drag it up or down with a mouse button. Clicking the slider's up or down arrows or using the mouse wheel works though.
  • @Delkaes Omg, I searched everywhere, but didn't checked most obvious place. Thanks a lot!
    Thanks all!
    Ubu: That's a nice idea, it's a bit hard to use many of the variations for one color at the moment.
    Rapu: Yes, it must be a bug in the UI framework but I'll see if I can work around it.
  • SouriSouri Posts: 13
    Awesome, you put Dawnbringer's 16 and 32 colour palette as a preset! Huge thanks for that! :D
  • Is there a way to disable the opacity change when PANNING the canvas?

Thanks in advance.
    Souri: No problem. :)
    Cgmodeler: Yes, you can disable it in the settings window (the cog wheel in the top right).
  • asmodanntasmodannt Posts: 7
    edited February 2014
    I found one more bug with canvas moving and one small bug with undo.

1) On Mac: moving the canvas with mouse mid button pressed is not working for me, only with space pressed. But it works when mouse left and mid buttons are pressed. I don't believe this is correct behavior.
    On Windows: to move canvas just press mouse mid button and move the mouse.

Sometimes when I press space button nothing is happening (looks like the
    canvas aren't focused). In this case I need to click inside the canvas
    to make it work (if pen or fill bucket were selected I also need to undo
    the changes made by these tools).

2) Happens on both systems.
    Steps to reproduce:
       Select any canvas part with selection tool.
       Make it transformable.
       Drag it with alt key pressed (it will create a copy).
       Undo changes.
    Expected by me:
       Only created copy removed.
    What happens:
       Both copy and original selection are removed. If I undo one more time, original selection will appear.

Also I have few questions.
    Is there any possibility to disable drawing on invisible layers? Or maybe display warning somewhere.

And the last question about future planned feature. When will drawing primitive shapes very approximately be added to Pyxel Edit? I really miss this feature.