Status of release 0.3.109

DanikDanik Posts: 659
edited April 2015 in News and announcements
Hi there!

It's been a very long time without updates, so I thought I'd just write a bit about that status of the next release.
The todo-list is huge with lots of things I want to fix and add, and I'm still short on free time so I have to prioritize. I have been focusing on usability and stability for this release. The last one had a bunch of crash bugs which makes the delay more embarrassing, but this one should be more stable. I will try to make smaller more frequent bugfix releases in the future, and having some testers to get early prerelease feedback from should help (see link at the bottom).

Here is the current changelog:
  • Fixed drag and drop.
  • Fixed issue resulting in a gray screen on startup.
  • Fixed animation viewport issue when switching frame after zooming.
  • Fixed frame delay when changing animation, so that it no longer sticks until end of frame.
  • Fixed animation playback panel buttons not getting deactivated when no document was open.
  • Added BMP export support.
  • Fixed layer blend modes not getting loaded properly.
  • Improved undo behaviour for selection tool.
  • Moved user config into separate file, so that it survives version updates etc.
  • Separated config files into settings, keybindings, layout and persistant state.
  • User keybindings now override defaults based on action or key combination.
  • Added optional loading of default config files from application directory (for portable version).
  • Added optional loading of plain text license file from application directory (for portable version)
  • Improved export dialogs layout.
  • Made export dialogs remember last used paths per document.
  • Separated export file name and path inputs.
  • Added dropdown for recently used paths.
  • Added control for choosing the background color for formats with limited transparency support (fixes purple semi-transparent pixels in GIFs).
  • Removed "auto" file format option.
  • Fixed "Tiles as separate files" option not being remembered.
  • Fixed crash on closing a unsaved document with changes using the "X" button and choosing yes in save dialog.
  • Fixed issue where license checking failed if the name began or ended with a space.
  • Fixed Ctrl+H hiding the application window until you kill it on Windows.
  • Added NES palette preset.
  • Added "Edit settings" menu item to layer right click menus.
  • Added "=" to zoom in (for US keyboards).
  • Added setting to disable double click to select tile with selection tool.
  • Added setting for maximum brush size.
  • Fixed crash when creating a new document after detaching and closing the preview panel.
  • Make detached widgets update their title properly.
  • Refactoring brush stroke system to show exact stroke results during stroke (including erased pixels, blend modes etc.).
  • Moved onion skins on top of current frame pixel contents.
  • Fixed issue with glitchy alpha on the edges of tiles with certain transformations.
  • Added cancelling of strokes by hitting the other mouse button, with setting to enable/disable the feature.
  • Allowing picking a new color from document or palette while using Replace color or Adjust swatch color.
  • Added button "Use clipboard size" when making a new single tile document.
  • Made the animated GIF importer choose the width and height of the document more intelligently to be as close to a square as possible.
  • Added a dialog with choices "Single tile", "Tiled image" and "Animated GIF", when drag-n-dropping an image from the OS, instead of assuming a tiled image.
The brush stroke drawing system has been remade to show in-progress strokes more accurately (blend modes etc) and to be more flexible and general, which means I will be able to add more drawing tools soon without a lot of wasteful work (shape tools for instance).

Multi tile drawing is not done yet, since it requires some pretty big changes, but it's high on the todo list. I could spend the time and implement it but I want to get this release out as soon as possible.

PS. If you can't wait and are interested in testing prereleases see this thread: http://pyxeledit.com/forum/discussion/396/prerelease-beta-testing

Comments

• CandyFaceCandyFace Posts: 565
    That looks like a nice upcoming update, I certainly cannot wait to play around with it. I still miss a " Added a flip selection on x and y axis" but as you have to draw the line somewhere, I understand your prioritization with usability and stability. I will just have to wait a bit more for that one :)
  • WegPastWegPast Posts: 58
    Yeah, it look amazing !
    +1 for the flip selection !

Does the betat testing version will crush my current working PyxelEdit ? If it behave like another application, I'll beta test it with pleasure :)
  • Kasumi Posts: 13
    I truly cannot wait for the multi tile drawing, because doing this is still suffering: http://i.imgur.com/qigHvaN.gif
  • I bought Pyxel Edit yesterday, and I was wondering how I can update my program once the new version is out? 

And will plugins be supported later on?

I'm sorry if I'm reposting, I looked through the FAQ but couldn't find my questions. 
    edited April 2015
    @Jintezaku If i recall correctly, PyxelEdit does not update automatically. I presume that Danik willl either send out emails with the new version or direct you to the "Private License page" which was sent to your mail when you purchased the software. :)
  • DanikDanik Posts: 659
    CandyFace, yes it's painful to have to choose what to leave out because I want to fix everything. :)

WegPast, thanks. Yes I will give the test version a different id which means it will install alongside the normal version.

Kasumi, yes I know, I suffer with you. I really want to add this as soon as I can.

Jintezaky, the current version will notify you that there is a new version
    available, and then you have to download it from your Humble download
    page, or license page on this site. For major versions I will probably
    also send out an email message.
    Alright boss ! :D
  • Alex_x6 Posts: 6
    I am really missing scroll to pan and pinch to zoom. Will this be added soon? It is one of the few things preventing me from fully switching to PyxelEdit.
    Oh, and could either the "L" in the color mixing panel be replaced with a "V" or could Pyxel use HSL instead of HSV. It's more intuitive, more commonly used, and more liked.
  • vedioboyvedioboy Posts: 30
    Alex, it's not hard to get used to it. There are so many features in PE that make it better than any other image editing software for pixel art that a little thing like that shouldn't matter. Yes I somewhat agree to it but for all the people who are already used to it, it will suck. By the wat you can hold space and pan by dragging, just a tip. Also, it is HSL, I don;t get why you think the color picker is HSV.
    edited April 2015
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSL_and_HSV
    Damn... Alex said some truth...
    What truth?

PyxelEdit uses the HSL color space, it even says so in the color panel itself. Also here is a comparison between the two color spaces should anyone be curious.
    Huh... I mixed the two... Yeah, you'r right :(

By the way, @Alex_x6, don't forget about the advanced color panel :

You may find another way to find your colors :)
  • Natan Posts: 3
    When making multi tile  please also add to be able to add a sprite of any dimension so that it doesn't depend on tile size. So like I can have a tile background and a player character (a different layer in any size) in the same scene.
    edited May 2015
    @Danik, how about changing the background logo in the application at the next release aswell, there is no reason for not using your heart icon to stay consistent to your website, not to mention that it also looks better ;)
    @CandyFace, I dunno, I kind of like the background now, it's more discrete and square shaped, but I'll consider it. ;)
  • kheftelkheftel Posts: 7
    This sounds awesome, stoked for the release!
  • zoltarr Posts: 1
    I am really missing scroll to pan and pinch to zoom. Will this be added soon? It is one of the few things preventing me from fully switching to PyxelEdit.
    Oh, and could either the "L" in the color mixing panel be replaced with a "V" or could Pyxel use HSL instead of HSV. It's more intuitive, more commonly used, and more liked.
    I too would like this. In Photoshop (win), holding down Ctrl+Space while left click mouse dragging, gives you an interactive zoom. very handy, i use it constantly.
  • Anyone knows something about the next update release?
    The release date is unknown, though if you're okay with a potentially glitchy build, then you could apply for the pre-releaase beta.
  • JesterJinxJesterJinx Posts: 7
    edited July 2015
    @CandyFace

Thanks!

• zi11ionzi11ion Posts: 3
    Can't wait for the release! It's been a long time coming. I also cannot wait for Multi Tile Drawing.

Question/Request: is there any way to add an option to use arrow keys (or whatever other keys) to scroll through your titles, changing which one you have selected while you're using the mouse cursor to place tiles? That way I don't have to move the arrow, pick one from the tile palette, move the cursor to the canvas, place it, then move the arrow back over to the tile palette to select the next one I want to use. I could just use the up, down, left and right arrow keys to move a cursor within the tile palette. scrolling through and selecting which tile I want to use next. I would find this feature useful, along side Multi Tile Drawing. :)

Thanks for creating Pyxel Edit, and keep up the awesome work!
    edited August 2015
    Multi-tile-drawing is possible already, if i understand your question correctly. If you use the tile placer tool, and then click on the tiles you want to be drawn on simultaneously, then the brush should paint on all the tiles you chosen. tip: hovering over most of the tools, will tell you about it's shortcuts and uses.
    You can see an example here:

As for the other thing, no currently there are no ways of navigating the tiles except with the mouse.  
  • zi11ionzi11ion Posts: 3
    Nah, that's not what we mean by multi tile drawing. But I can see the confusion. Probably shouldn't be called "Drawing" :)
    Multi tile drawing is not done yet, since it requires some pretty big changes, but it's high on the todo list. I could spend the time and implement it but I want to get this release out as soon as possible.
    What we mean (if I'm on the same page as everyone...) is being able to select a group of tiles and place them elsewhere, instead
    of selecting each one individually then placing them. But not as a copy/paste.

This is what it would solve:
    I truly cannot wait for the multi tile drawing, because doing this is still suffering: http://i.imgur.com/qigHvaN.gif
    The multi-tile drawing would be, I imagine, similar to how it's done in Tiled. Stamping and such. :)
  • puppetmaster Posts: 1
    edited August 2015
    This is my first comment on this forum and I wan't to say thank you for this awesome tool.
    I have used this tool for all my ludum dare games.

A big, big wish from my side would be, disable painting (pencil, copy past, placing tile and more) on layer which are hidden.

greetings

puppetmaster
  • To make PyxelEdit perfect for me.

Symmetry (Mirroring) drawing for X and Y.
    Dither tool
    Color drift brush based on the template (maybe a selection of 4 colors)

• Oouuhh lovely! Can't wait for the stable 3.109 release :-)
    Any insight on when you will release it approximately? Can we count on it before 2016?
  • Abandonware.
    edited September 2015
    Hello hepary,

No PyxelEdit is not abandonware, Danik is actively working on it, he's just too busy sharing information about his changes. The product is still available, supported and in development which means that by definition it can't be considered abandonware.

If you have any comments, suggestions or feedback, please make a new thread instead of leaving unnecessary comments here.
    Thank you :) 
    edited September 2015
    It's no secret that development has been on pretty much on hold for quite a while now. I thought I would be able to work part time on it but I was wrong, work takes far too much energy.
    The reason I haven't released 109 is that I hit a roadblock that needs some focused work to overcome (the way tools handle their state and delegate to other tools), and I just haven't found the time and energy to fix it.
    The project at work has a planned release in the beginning of December, so assuming we hit that date I will try my best to get the next release out before 2016.

For the future I will consider the available options, if possible I want to work on it full time, but if that doesn't work I'll consider bringing other developers on the project or some kind of open source model.
  • It's no secret that development has been on pretty much on hold for quite a while now. I thought I would be able to work part time on it but I was wrong, work takes far too much energy.
    The reason I haven't released 109 is that I hit a roadblock that needs some focused work to overcome (the way tools handle their state and delegate to other tools), and I just haven't found the time and energy to fix it.
    The project at work has a planned release in the beginning of December, so assuming we hit that date I will try my best to get the next release out before 2016.

For the future I will consider the available options, if possible I want to work on it full time, but if that doesn't work I'll consider bringing other developers on the project or some kind of open source model.
    Its okay Danik <3 we love you and your program. Other devs would help with you so busy (: but your true community knows you're getting around to it. Open source sounds good too! No matter what you do, this community is behind you.