Scaling down a photo without losing TOO much detail

Hey everybody,

I'm in a need of Help,

I am trying to scale down a photo of lets say about 4000x4000 pixels to 400x400 pixels, but I lose alot of details of the image, now I am aware that since I am scaling down in pixels and reaching until 400x400 that means that I will lose details...

I was wondering if there is a cool hack, so I can "lose" less details

the process I am trying to do is, opening the image in 6000x6000 canvas, then I crop it to 4000x4000, and paste it into a 400x400 canvas, and scaling it down until it fits.

the image looks fine in a 400x400, however, Its a bit of shame to lose alot of details so if anyone could maybe give me a tip how to scale down and maintain details I will be SUPER HAPPY

Thanks

Comments

• CandyFaceCandyFace Posts: 548
    edited September 16
    Hi yomi

What you're trying to achieve is simply not possible with pixels. There is no hack to show more pixels than what you have available. If your image is going to be 400x400, then there are only going to be 400 pixels horizontally and 400 pixels vertically. 

If you don't care about making the output become blurry, you can use image editing software such as Gimp or Krita to scale down with bilinear filtering, this will try to preserve the details of the image scaled down.