Issues with exporting sprites for use in Unity

I've found a strange problem, I'm not sure if my images are just too complex or what, but when i attempt to export files they seem to lose a ton of quality and they come out smudged. Is there something i'm doing wrong or is this an issue with the format? 
For that matter, is there anything I can do to help fix this?

Comments

• CandyFaceCandyFace Posts: 544
    edited June 22
    When you export the images from PyxelEdit, or when you import them into Unity?
    Do the images appear smudged if you preview them in an image application? I assume that it's the latter since Unity can compress your image a lot of you use wrong settings when importing.
  • AlphaGamesRob Posts: 6
    edited June 22
    They seem smudged when I initially export them, but then when i later import them into unity they become even worse, it's a very strange problem to have because I don't experience it with every Sprite Sheet. 
    Is there a way to directly put the pyxel files into unity without having to turn them into another file format and compromise quality?
    That would make no difference as the .pyxel is just a zip container. If you export from pyxeledit in gif, bmp or png then there will be no quality loss. The issue seems to be that you're importing into Unity with settings that compress the images. 

Would you mind showing the sprite after you export from pyxel, and one after you've imported into Unity?
  • I think it may have something to do with the tiny size of the image and the complexity of the colors, png doesn't like it and unity likes it even less.
    http://imgur.com/a/jIxte

edited June 25
    Hmm that indeed looks weird, what's the dimension of the image? Would you mind uploading the .pyxel, then I'll try to reproduce this behaviour.
  • I apologize for taking so long to get back to you, my internet crapped out and it took all week for verizon to get out to fix it. The object is 16x27 on a 32x32 tile, could that be the issue? Here's a super simple placeholder animation I've been using for the prototype I've been building.

edited July 3
    Hmm weird, I don't seem to have any problem exporting from PyxelEdit, no blurring or anything. I was suspecting that you were using a weird tile size but you're not, so I'm not sure what's going on.

When you import your sprites into Unity however, you have to set Filter mode to "Point" and Compression to none, otherwise your sprite will get warped and have pixels discarded. Unity's compressor is trying to optimize your image by removing unnecessary pixels, but since the png is lossless and at a very small size too, there's nothing to discard and it instead corrupts the sprite.

btw. in case you don't know, you can't zoom in on images in your browser, they'll looked blurred. Use the scale in the export options if you want to show your sprite in larger size :)

• Ahh well, thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate you hanging in here with me