Shadowing / Lighting Tech

toramo Posts: 6
Hello there,

I watched a lot of video on youtube from this guy :

He is using pyxel edit also. 

I learned a lot of spriting tech from it.
On the video above, he is 'shadowing' the trees on the background, all at once.
How did he do that ? I tried to use a different layer and play with the options but it doesn't seems to work :neutral: 

Same question for lightning up a tile (or eventually a part of a tile).

Is there something in Pyxel Edit to make this easier instead of doing it manually pixel by pixel ?

thank you !
Toramo

Comments

• CandyFaceCandyFace Posts: 548
    edited March 28
    He is taking advantage of the tile feature.

How to: add the first tree to the tileset (the Tiles window to the right), then place copies of that tree in all those tiles on the canvas, so they share the same tile number, in my case to 0, then all changes will affect all the mapped tree clones.

Let me demonstrate:

The trees which are not mapped to the same tile number, won't be affected.

To add a tile from the canvas to the tileset, hold down ctrl + click or cmd + click on mac, on the tile, then it'll appear in the "Tiles" window. Hover over the "Tile placer tool" button to see what other actions are available :)
  • toramo Posts: 6
    Thank you for your prompt reply !

I'm sorry I probably not write my question correctly (english is not my natal language).
    I already master the tile feature like explained above.

My question is more about the shadowing / lightning of a tile.

This guy seems to change the tile darker or lighter in "one pass". He is not changing/replacing the color one by one and pixel by pixel.

As explained I tried to work with layer and the "blend mode" which have a lighten / darken option in the drop down list. But I'm not sure how it works and if this option is the right one to use.

Thanks,

edited March 29
    Hmm ahh maybe what you're looking for is the "replace current color" feature which can be found in the top menu, under color->replace current color. You can also right-click on one of colors you're using in the palette window, then select "replace color"

When I look at the video in super slow motion though, it just looks like he's using the fill tool. Are you sure that's not it? I don't see anywhere where he lightens or darkens the tile in "one pass" although it does appear that way because of the playback speed. 

If this is not what you're looking for either, could you please state at what time he does it in the video?
  • toramo Posts: 6
    edited March 29
    Humm I watched the video again at 0.25x speed.
    And it seems I was incorrect.
    He is making his tile darker at 4:50 and it seems to be doing that pixel per pixel.

At full speed / on my first watch I was pretty sure he was doing something to make his tile darker with an option but it seems not finally.

Is there an option or something in PE allowing us to replace all the color from a tile by the color directly darker than the original one ?
    I know there is this super cool tool when you pick your color for Saturation / Hue / Light etc...
    It would be cool to allow an entire Tile color replacement directly from this color selection.

Also, I finally found a turn around I think.
    I created a new layer with a tile totally black and I changed his opacity to do it 'transparent'. 
    I put it above the tile I wanted to make darker and here we are :)

It apply a kind of filter on the picture/tile below it. It's not perfect but it is fine for me for now.

Thanks for your help.
    No it's not possible to adjust multiple colors at once. I agree though that it would be nice to have such features available. I tend to open my sprites in other image editing software if I need to adjust exposure, brightness, Vibrance etc.